Thursday, June 14, 2012

Goal #1: Run another half-marathon

The other night, Brian was telling me about a certain radio program that he had listened to earlier in the day. It was about a guy who grew up in Utah (a landlocked state) and had the lifelong ambition to sail. Having never actually been sailing before (because of the landlocked-ness), he just read everything he could about sailing. Later in life, a friend of his died. The passing of his friend made him realize that he didn't want to regret having never actually pursued the sailing dream. So, he started building a sailboat. He acquired an old hull, but built the rest himself. It was marvelous. And he and his wife sailed an trans-atlantic voyage. And do so now quite often.

Brian came alive while telling me about this. He is so much about dreaming big and then going for it. I wish I was that way, but I am not.

And that's why I am writing.
Because that is what I "do."
I have very few "big dreams."
I sometimes feel like I am too busy living my life day-to-day to make goals for myself. I realized when Brian was telling me the "sailing" story that I needed to be thinking and dreaming a bit more. I definitely don't want to wish my kids' lives away, but sometimes I feel like that when they are older, I can dream. Probably out of balance a bit there.

I am planning a series of posts that focus on some goals that I have. Here's to dreaming and getting more balanced.

So, I've decided that I want to run another half-marathon in November. What are you thinking? I'm crazy? Yeah, probably. Mainly because I don't have the time to run. Not really. Logistically, I don't know how it will work out. This week was my first week of training and out of three days that I was supposed to run, I only managed to get it one lousy two-miler. Bummer. But it wasn't because I didn't want to run. I did. Promise. I just didn't work out. And that's okay (I hope). When I trained before, it was in 2008 when I had no babies. Now I have three babies who are three years old and younger. My life looks different. My body looks and feels a lot different. But, within me, there still is a desire to run. And be healthy. And feel good. So I will run, I think.

Cheer me on in this dream, friend.
I'm going to need it... 

2 comments:

Appollo Schloss said...

Very exciting! Good luck my friend. Perhaps i could waddle along beside you in November :/?

Jessica said...

Come on! I would be up for a run anytime before then, though, too. =)