Monday, December 27, 2010

Taking Christ out of Christmas. For real.

Being a mom of two boys under the age of two doesn't exactly lend me much blogging time. BUT I do have a little time tonight, since Brian is out of town for a few days. Brian and I have a steady little routine of hanging with the boys until their bedtime and then we workout for an hour or so and then we're pretty much exhausted and we hit the hay ourselves. Since Brian isn't home right now, you will be thrilled to know that I have not been working out without him. I didn't want to leave him behind, ya know? Ha! Okay, so really it's just that I am enjoying the break and don't feel like working out by myself. It's back to the routine once he returns though...

I have been thinking about a lot of things lately. Lots of potential blog posts run through my mind throughout the day.

Things like this :

Today, the boys ( ages 19 months and 3 months) and are were in Target (which is a miracle in and of itself, people). We were just cruising the aisles when all of the sudden, Caleb starts yelling "POOP!" Why, son? Why? He doesn't have poop in his diaper. I honestly think he gets the sensation of farting (sorry, y'all) and the act of pooping confused. We've been trying to explain the difference to him, but apparently we need to do a better job.

Transition.

Here at the Caldwell house, we have been particularly affected this year by reading about the birth of Christ. We celebrated Him this year. I read a book by Noel Piper called "Treasuring God in Our Traditions" (Thanks, Priscila!) and it talked about being intentional. So we were. And we were blessed immeasurably by God. I became overwhelmed at the thought of Mary carrying Jesus for nine months and then giving birth to the Son of God. Can you imagine? I read something by C.J. Mahaney about Christmas and in it, he stated that the reason that Christmas is necessary is because we are sinners. So true. And overwhelming that God made a way using His own Son. Amazing. Wish I could expound more on this, but time doesn't allow at present.

I have really been thinking: Let's take Christ out of Christmas. Seriously. Let's do it. Because, be honest, most people just try to add Him on to their Americanized celebrations. Yes, we'll have a Christmas tree, the holiday ham, ornaments, stocking, and of course presents. And we fool ourselves into thinking that somehow "we know what Christmas is all about." Really? What is it about? And why can't we just STOP doing whatever it ISN'T about, for crying out loud? I don't think that God is fooled by our actions... He's God.

It's fine to celebrate a winter holiday. Shoot, let's give gifts, eat good food, see the family, etc. But let's don't pretend anymore that somehow by doing all of this frivolous stuff that we're celebrating the birth of the Savior. Sorry. Soap box.

3 comments:

BeckyJ said...

Good thoughts, Jessica. Do you think that adding Christ to all the traditional Christmas trappings is somehow idolatrous? Or a misrepresentation? Interesting. I'll have to think on that one.

What do you think of the idea of going big with Christmas and feasting and partying in general to celebrate the fullness we have in Christ? That's another school of thought I hear bandied about.

I'd love to get together sometime soon and chat about all this and just catch up! Whatcha doing tomorrow or Thursday?

Becky

Jessica said...

Becky, I completely think that it is idolatry. You are so right on, I think.

I think feasting etc. because of the fullness in Christ around Christmas is fine, as long as Chris is the central focus and not an add-on.

Yes, let's get together. Brian is out of town until tomorrow afternoon. You are welcome here anytime! What about tomorrow morning? Or Thursday...I could meet up with you somewhere, if you would like. Whatever you want!

Call me or text me!
324-7198
Jess

BeckyJ said...

Texting!