Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Giving & Receiving Criticism

If you're breathing, you should read this article written by Justin Taylor about giving and receiving criticism in light of the cross. Let's face it: we do both. We critique and are ourselves critiqued... or criticized. Isn't that interesting lame? When I thought about the times that I am being critical of someone, I didn't want to use that word ("critical") because it sounds harsh. But when I am being criticized, I want to feel the injustice of it all. How silly sinful!

(Edit)
Okay.
I've decided to post the article because it's just SO helpful to my soul. I hope it is to yours also.


Some notes below from Alfred Poirier’s excellent article “The Cross and Criticism,” first published in The Journal of Biblical Counseling (Spring 1999).
Definition:
I’m using criticism in a broad sense as referring to any judgment made about you by another, which declares that you fall short of a particular standard.
The standard may be God’s or man’s.
The judgment may be true or false.
It may be given gently with a view to correction, or harshly and in a condemnatory fashion.
It may be given by a friend or by an enemy.
But whatever the case, it is a judgment or criticism about you, that you have fallen short of a standard.
Key Point:
A believer is one who identifies with all that God affirms and condemns in Christ’s crucifixion.
In other words, in Christ’s cross I agree with God’s judgment of me; and in Christ’s I agree with God’s justification of me. Both have a radical impact on how we take and give criticism.
Application:
  1. Critique yourself.
  2. Ask the Lord to give you a desire to be wise instead of a fool.
  3. Focus on your crucifixion with Christ.
  4. Learn to speak nourishing words to others.
How to give criticism in a godly way:
  • I see my brother/sister as one for whom Christ died (1 Cor. 8:11Heb. 13:1)
  • I come as an equal, who also is a sinner (Rom. 3:923).
  • I prepare my heart lest I speak out of wrong motives (Prov. 16:215:2816:23).
  • I examine my own life and confess my sin first (Matt. 7:3-5).
  • I am always patient, in it for the long haul (Eph. 4:21 Cor. 13:4).
  • My goal is not to condemn by debating points, but to build up through constructive criticism (Eph. 4:29).
  • I correct and rebuke my brother gently, in the hope that God will grant him the grace of repentance even as I myself repent only through His grace (2 Tim. 2:24-25).

2 comments:

Appollo Schloss said...

So good and true. Yesterday I was convicted of a critical attitude toward 2 sisters and am planning to seek their forgiveness soon.

dan said...

Thanks for posting this.
love ya